Introducing the Hydrofoiler XE-1
The world’s first water bike that replicates the cycling experience on water. Using the same technology as America’s Cup sailboats this Hydrofoil eBike opens up a whole new cycling frontier. Suitable for a wide range of fitness levels, riders can explore ocean coastlines, train along waterways, or cruise lakeside with friends and family.
``The bike will come into its own, marking the birth of a new sport and cementing the Hydrofoil bike as the new Kiwi icon.``
``Manta5 has created a thrilling world's first``
``The hydrofoils let you cut through the water with ease``
Variable Electric Assist
Up to 4 Hours Ride Time
Carbon Fibre Foils
21 kph | 12 mph | 11km Top Speed
31 kgs | 68.4lbs Total Assembled Weight
IPX8 Motor and Housing
Electric Motor & Battery
- Brilliant technology. Extremely simple to use. The electric motor and the battery have been created to be waterproof; this is a powerful combination for water-related technology. Although the motor has passed rigorous maritime testing the noise it produces no more than a low hum and best of all it is environmentally friendly.
- Read more about our use of an electric assist motor.
- Fully submersible IPX8 rated housing battery system.
- Quick charging connector with easy access and a 4 hour charge time.
- IPX8 rated electric motor.
- 460 watts of pedal assistance power.
- Maximum 4 hours of riding time with the lowest assist level and 1.5 hours on maximum assist Please note that the estimated battery run time may vary depending upon the rider’s weight, weather conditions, assist level and other factors.
Chassis & Gears
- Resilient against salt water and corrosion. The Hydrofoiler’s frame and gears are packed full of ingenious design details that stay true to the simplicity of a beautifully crafted bike.
- Aircraft-grade, TIG-welded 6061-T6 aluminium frame.
- Hybrid drivetrain with industry standard components for easy replacement.
- Buoyancy modules designed to streamline the Hydrofoiler both above and below water.
- Easy maintenance crank-set sub-assembly, gearbox sub-assembly, and the propeller/shaft sub-assembly.
Carbon Fibre Foils
- This combination is impeccably tuned. Striking a perfect balance between stability and manoeuvrability in all types of water-terrain.
- Foil tip design minimises drag and extends effective wingspan
- Rear wingspan measures 6.5ft. Front wing, 4ft
- General purpose foils. Suitable for lakes, rivers, and the ocean
- Modular design for easy assembly and in-car transport
- All Manta5 Hydrofoiler XE-1’s come standard with the GARMIN® eBike Remote. Rugged, compact and lightweight and effectively cycle between the 7 levels of motor assistance. With multiple compatible devices (30+) make use of Manta5’s free Datafields on the Connect IQ Store.
- Riders Can Track
- Ride time
- Heart rate
- Battery charge level
- Electric assist level
- * More features to come
New Zealand pilot customer and avid cyclist, Catherine, attended our Customer Ride Day at Lake Tarawera, Rotorua, and talked about her first ride on the XE-1.
“I think that if you do mountain biking, it does give you a bit of an advantage… a lot of it is about [your] balance.”
U.S. customer, Phil, recently visited New Zealand with his wife to meet with the Manta5 team and ride the XE-1 he has already pre-ordered.
“It’s just like being on a bike, you can put as much effort into it as you want…you can definitely get a superb workout on that.”
Dan Martin, a Manta5 customer from New Zealand, meets with the Manta5 top team rider, Stacey, to get the hang of the submerged and beach launch.
“It took a bit of time… and a lot of patience. Now it’s just about practice, practice, practice.”
Chris attended our Customer Ride Day at Lake Tarawera, spending the day learning how to master his 60th surprise birthday gift.
“It’s a unique experience on the water… it’s a really neat sensation for someone that likes water and [the] outdoors.”
Nicolas, an avid cyclist and sailor from France, came along to try out the XE-1 for his first ride.
“I’m cycling quite alot, so when I found this on the internet I found it really interesting… it’s pretty incredible!”
Andy Magness, tech writer for outdoor gear review site GearJunkie, took some time to try out the XE-1 and can see its benefits as a training tool.
“I can see that as a fitness tool going out and doing intervals… cruise for a while, then do 30 seconds on level 2 or 3 to get your heart rate up. It’s pretty cool!”
French magazine writer Antoine – who is also a surfer and has a great affinity with the ocean – met our team in Cannes to try out the XE-1.
“The best moment, is right after the take-off. That feeling of going just over the water… it’s great, it’s amazing.”
Phillippe – a French wakeboard world champion – had his first ride over in Cannes and told us how it went.
“We don’t float like a boat, we fly more like an airplane, so the feeling of foiling is exceptional.“
It was a choppy morning in Pilot Bay, but Brad – who is also a triathlete – was intrepid and took the XE-1 for his first ride, ended up flying for a few kilometers and told us how it went.
“It’s great! it takes a little while to get used to it, it’s not quite the same as normal bike, but once you are up and going it is really fun”
Can the Hydrofoiler handle chop and swell?
You can ride on oceans, rivers and lakes, handling moderate chop and swell. The front tiller section of the Hydrofoiler self-levels and help to punch through chop and over swell as you ride. Check out this video showcasing the bike in choppy conditions
Always ride to your ability and practice caution in riskier conditions.
Who can ride the Hydrofoiler?
Confident swimmers up to 220lbs (100kgs) of any age. To perform the submerged launch, riders do need to weigh below 220lbs (100kgs) in order to re-surface.
How fast does the Hydrofoiler go?
The bike boasts a top speed of 13mph (22km/h) and a cruising speed between 7 – 8mph (11–13km/h). Minimum speed needed to foil is 5.2mph (8.5km/h) – less than 5 knots.
How long does the battery last?
The battery offers up to 4 hours of riding time on the lowest assist level and 1.5 hours on maximum assist*. Riding conditions, rider input and ability will affect ride time. The 70 cell lithium-ion battery pack delivers 22Ah with each battery pack being easy to swap out in minutes.
To recharge the battery, the battery plugs into any standard wall socket and takes 3 hours to charge back to full.
* Ride duration is subject to rider weight, water conditions and level of electronic assistance the rider has selected.
How does the battery handle the heat/cold?
The total ride time (battery life) may differ when operating in extreme ambient temperatures.
For example, all lithium batteries achieve optimum service life if used at 68ºF (20°C) or slightly below. If, for example, a battery operates at 86ºF (30°C) instead of a more moderate lower room temperature, the cycle life is reduced by ~20 percent.
How do I transport the Hydrofoiler?
The Hydrofoiler™ XE-1 is the most mobile personal watercraft in the market today. Designed to be broken down into three parts; front foil, rear foil, and body. This allows for simple storage and transportation in-car or on roof racks. The Hydrofoiler can be assembled within 5 minutes and carried to the water by hand.
What is the Hydrofoiler constructed from?
Strengthened carbon fibre which is set with high performance epoxies (front and rear hydrofoils). Aircraft-grade, TIG-welded 606-T6 aluminium (frame). Vacuum-formed ASA plastic (buoyancy modules).
How big is the Hydrofoiler (weight/dimensions)?
The Hydrofoiler™ XE-1 currently weighs 67lbs (30.5kgs) including battery and motor.
Fully assembled bike dimensions: 4,5ft High x 6,5ft Wide x 7,2ft Long (1.4m High x 2m Wide x 2.2m Long)
What riding gear would I need?
Manta5 insist that riders wear a personal flotation device (PFD)/life jacket and carry a communication device. The PFD will help the rider float in the water when they’re not riding. The communication device is to contact someone on shore in the case of an emergency.
* Manta5 recommends that riders also check and abide by local policies and regulations when riding.
Is the Hydrofoiler eco-friendly?
Our Hydrofoiler XE-1 is made with clean technology. Riders can explore all water areas, including protected lakes and rivers, that petrol-powered watercraft are denied access to.
How does the Hydrofoiler get serviced?
All Hydrofoiler XE-1’s are serviced by Manta5 authorised service agents, with some components able to be self-serviced with sufficient skill and experience. Customers will have access to a list of service agents in their area through the Distributor Locator page on our website.
Most of the XE-1 componentry is constructed from standard bicycle parts and can be serviced through your local bicycle service center. Repairs to the battery and motor, however, must be completed at the Manta5 HQ or an authorised service agent.
What is the minimum water depth required to foil and submerged launch the Hydrofoiler?
A minimum depth of 3ft (1m) to ride the bike in, is recommended. However, to perform the submerged launch to resurface this would require a minimum water depth of 7ft (2m).
What happens when I stop pedalling?
The bike floats on its side when stationary. When you stop pedalling you will slowly sink down into the water. Buoyancy prevents the bike from sinking when you stop pedalling. Master the remounting technique to perform a “submerged launch” to get foiling again from deep water.